Non-personal Information We Record
If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the Web site, read pages, or download information, our Web site's operating system will automatically record some general information about your visit.
During your visit, our Web operating system will record:
- The Internet domain for your Internet service, such as "xcompany.com" or "xcompany.net" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from a college or university domain.
- The type of browser (such as "Netscape version X" or "Internet Explorer version X") that you are using.
- The type of operating system that you use (such as Macintosh, Unix, or Windows).
- The date and time you visit our site, and the Web pages that you visit on our site.
- The address of the previous Web site you were visiting, if you linked to us from another Web site.
We use this information for statistical analysis, to help us make our site more useful to visitors. This tracking system does not record information about individuals.
On certain FREE web pages, we use "cookies" to help you use our websites interactively. A cookie is a small file that a website transfers to your computer's hard disk, usually to keep track of you while you are connected to that site.
The cookies on FREE web pages do not collect information about you, but only about your browser "session." The cookie makes it easier for you to use the dynamic features of these web pages, without having to provide the same information again as you move from one page to another.
FREE is using third-party social media sites to provide ED content in formats that may be useful or interesting; however, FREE.ed.gov is the official source of information from the FREE site. FREE cannot attest to the accuracy of other information provided by these or any other linked sites. Using these third-party sites does not constitute an endorsement by FREE or any of its employees of the sponsors of the sites or the information or products presented on the sites. Also, please be aware that the privacy protection provided at FREE.ed.gov may not be available on these third-party sites.