Skip Navigation
FREE: Federal Resources for Educational Excellence - Teaching and Learning Resources From Federal Agencies

Subject Map
Applied Sciences
Computers/Tech (16)
Engineering (26)
Earth Sciences
Climate Change (42)
Environment (64)
Geology (37)
Oceans (42)
Other Earth Sciences (76)
Life Sciences
Animals/Zoology (35)
Botany (19)
Cells (26)
Diseases (35)
Genes, Evolution (43)
Human Body (31)
Interdependence (25)
Medicine (28)
Other Life Sciences (45)
Physical Sciences
Chemistry (37)
Energy (25)
Physics (46)
Other Physical Sciences (23)
Space Sciences
Aeronautics (27)
Astronomy (60)
Other Space Sciences (31)
Other Science (45)
What's New

Science » Space Sciences » Astronomy


is a gateway to astronomy and space science resources. Find lessons on auroras, comets, satellites, satellite images of earth, properties of light, Venus, weather on Mars, solar cycle, tracking orbiting spacecraft, classifying galaxies, calculating rotation rates of planets, sunspots, interstellar medium, and electromagnetic radiation. Learn about basic astrophysics research techniques and how satellites "see" the universe at different wavelengths. (Center for Science Education, National Aeronautics and Space Administration)

   Go to this website

Interesting Fact:

The vast spaces between stars in a galaxy is not completely empty, it is sparsely sprinkled with gas and dust. This 'stuff' between the stars is known as the Interstellar Medium. About 99% of the ISM is hydrogen and helium gas; the remaining 1% consists of gases and dust of heavier elements. The gas is extremely dilute, with an average density of about 1 atom per cubic centimeter.
Hubble Space Telescope image courtesy Space Telescope Science Institute

Water-ice clouds on Mars

    About FREE      Privacy     Security     Disclaimer